Friday, June 19, 2009

Little Man's Creed

About a week ago, Little man was playing with a car. I know, nothing special. When he was done, he left it on the floor and walked away. T2 came by and picked up the car.

From the other end of the house, around the corner, through a wall – Little man KNEW. Someone had his toy. Immediately he walks out into the living room and begins to look for suspects. Within seconds T2 is spotted and a SQUEAL erupts from little man’s mouth. He sprints (ok runs like a duck) for T2 and tries to take it from him, all the while screaming “MINE.” I, as the most level headed, fair, Mommy yell over Little man’s screams, “GIVE IT TO HIM!”

Like a good son, T2 does as he is told and then comes over to ask why can’t Little Man share? I laugh, and then I bring out the scrapbook from when he and T1 turned two. On the very first page is the toddler’s creed with a picture of the twins innocently sitting beneath it. I had him read the creed and we talked about what it meant. Then I explained, while Little man is learning to express himself and share, there will be LOTS of tantrums. We will not let him hit or fight for what he wants, but sometimes, when the toys was Little man’s to begin with, it is easier to just give it to him. T2said he understood and then asked if he acted like that when he was two. I laughed.

A few days later my hubby and I were discussing Little man’s tantrums. He said he didn’t know if he was going to make through them. I told him it could be worse. He looked at me with a blank stare and asked how.
I smirked and said, “he could’ve been a twin.”

THE TODDLER'S CREED
If I want it, it's mine.
If I give it to you and change my mind later, it's mine.
If I can take it away from you, it's mine.
If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
If it's mine, it will never belong to anybody else, no matter what.
If we are building something together, all the pieces are mine.
If it looks just like mine, it is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

YIPEE! You decided to comment on me!