Wednesday, September 9, 2009

DON'T make your BED!!

HA! I was reading along in the SITS featured blogger today, the AntiSupermom. (I am loving her blog by the way which is why I was continuing to read along). And came across her post about little white lies - this is what I found:

Don't Make Your BED!!! I was so thrilled, there is scientific proof why you should not make your bed. Now I am supposed to be a good southern belle and always have every bed in my house made. But that NEVER happens (ok maybe if we have company coming). What is the point in making a bed that is just going to be messed up again in a few hours? I have never seen the point. Who cares if the blankets are in one big mess, straighten them out before you get in it, or after as I tend to do. It is one less thing to do every day and I like it that way. BUT I was always sorta ashamed of my little habit - UNTIL

I read this:
"Research suggests that while an unmade bed may look scruffy it is also unappealing to house dust mites thought to cause asthma and other allergies.
A Kingston University study discovered the bugs cannot survive in the warm, dry conditions found in an unmade bed."

Read the whole article and study on BBC News Here!

See I'm not making it up and I'm not ever making my bed! I prefer a bug free bed thanks! (maybe that's why when I crawled into my parents bed as a child I always thought it was itchy - they have too many bugs)


No one ever died from sleeping in an unmade bed. I have known mothers who remake the bed after their children do it because there is wrinkle in the spread or the blanket is on crooked. This is sick. ~ Erma Bombeck

8 comments:

  1. Hi from another southern belle! Popping over from SITS roll call to visit.

    I actually read about this back earlier this year in a Woman's Day magazine! I even blogged about it on my My New 30 blog too: http://www.mynew30.com/2009/05/dont-make-your-bed-heard-in.html

    I admit to leaving my bed unmade sometimes, though I also admit I do like the way a room looks much better with a made bed. After reading this article though, I don't mind leaving it unmade and even just pulling the covers back or off and letting the whole thing air out ever now and again. Just the thought of those "critters" gives me the heebies.

    Oh and since you're a fellow southerner, if you're ever looking for a old fashioned recipe swing by my southern recipe blog Deep South Dish sometime.

    Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! I read the same post and found myself relieved as well
    :0)

    Visiting you from SITS--have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is crazy!! I still love to make my bed...everyday!! Habit and an old one. I can't help that I like smooth sheets when I jump in to pass out. That is my safe haven...no kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, bliss! I'm now having a moment free of mommy-chore guilt!

    Many, many thanks.

    Now if only there were a way for the laundry to magically take care of itself.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm feeling so famous today ;)

    Thanks for the linky love, I have a lot of work ahead of me to give the love back to everyone.

    Totally glad 'we' can all agree making the bed STINKS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol...i hate making the beds!! that's my husbands duty! plus i have an extreme irrational fear of bed bugs...true story...so my bed is NEVER being made again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, i have been warding off bed bugs for YEARS and never even knew it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm out searching for new blogs to follow..and I like yours, so I hopped on board! I share your preference for sweet tea...Love It! And..here's another reason I heard it's NOT good to make the bed..if you make the bed it provides a nice warm, moist place for bacteria to grow...now that's reason enough for me to not make mine!

    ReplyDelete

YIPEE! You decided to comment on me!