Sunday, August 30, 2009

Mom's Need Wings

Mom's are magic (read how here) we all know that. But with our magic comes restraints, and personally I think all Mom's need wings.


Reason for wings 1: to fly to a hurt child.
Example: My children often play on the neighbors trampoline. The trick is Mommy can't see them over there as there is a line of trees in the way. One fine spring day I was sitting on the back porch and heard one of them screaming for me. Barefoot, I ran down the steps around the side of the house, around the trees, across the gravel driveway, and back up the neighbors yard. Of course, no one was hurt as I imagined, they just wanted to show Mommy their new flips. Mommy's feet hurt and Mommy wished she had wings for flying to her boys when they cry wolf and when they are truly hurt.


Reason for wings 2: to escape embarassment
Example: Kids say the darnest things. It must be freeing to feel no embarassment. Especially when you get out of your car and you look over and you see some people in the car next to you and one of them is not the prettiest you've ever seen. You can yell to your Mommy, "That lady has a ugly face!" Then your Mommy can look up out of reflex only to bury her head in shame as the windows are rolled all the way down on the car with said women in it. If Mommies had wings, they could just fly away, instead of running, dragging their child, into the grocery store. (disclaimer: I don't remember which twin said it, but I'll remember that woman's face for the rest of my life)


Now does anyone know where I can find some wings?


You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance. ~Franklin P. Jones

6 comments:

  1. oh girl - must i remind you of the SPANISH and BROWN GUY comments my son made? i feel your pain!

    http://www.speakingfromthecrib.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you find out where you can buy some, fill me in please!!!!! There have been many times I've needed a pair of wings myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm am completely with you! If you hear of anyone having a sale on wings, please let me know!! I've had too many of those moments when I've wanted the ground to open up and swallow me whole right there on the spot when my kids have said embarrassing things!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only IMAGINE what my kids are going to say once they are really talking. I'm going to need rocket-boosters to escape that scene:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love this! We've all earned our wings, but where do we get a pair of our own?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Popping over from SITS Roll Call to visit.

    Oh LOL! And 3 boys?

    I imagine there are a number of times that wings would come in handy throughout motherhood. I had to rely on the "wings" of those who have passed on to be the guardian angels for my son MANY times as he was growing up. I can't tell you how many times that he left this house that I said "Cover him Lord."

    ReplyDelete

YIPEE! You decided to comment on me!