Monday, March 22, 2010

Books = Crack

I decided late last night, that if no one else understood you guys would.  We are all writers, so most of us are readers.

I'm a reader of various types of fiction.  I'm not big on sci-fi or romance novels, although I've read a few.  I prefer a good murder mystery (love Patricia Cornwell or James Patterson).  I'm also in to novels, such as work by Pat Conroy or Jodi Picoult.  Beach Music is one of my favorite books.  It takes place in the south - close to my heart, and is full of character, family, and plenty of story.

When the Twilight series came out, I understood the passion behind the readers, I just didn't believe it was for me.  I didn't want to read about vampires, or some story for a love sick teenager.  Science fiction and romance are not for me, especially all rolled into one.

Then a friend gave me Twilight.  She handed it to me about a month ago actually. 

Saturday night I found myself with nothing new to read, nothing to watch and a sick husband.  I figured what the hell and dug out the book.  At the least, it would lull me to sleep.

HA - I was so wrong.  That book was my addiction from very early on.  The more I read the more I couldn't put it down.  I got up to pee and to refill my glass, that was it.  I read until it was finished, not caring that it was 2 am and the boys would be up in a few hours.  I was loving the damn book and couldn't figure out why.

I still didn't know why Sunday either.  When I found myself at Wal-mart on Sunday afternoon, looking for a shower caddy to stop little man from pouring out all the shampoo, I knew I would be buying the next book.  I couldn't wait on the library - they're not even open on Sundays.  I had to get the next book.

And where was I at 8:30 last night? In the chair, thrilled that the boys were quiet in their beds.  Thrilled hubby still wasn't feeling good.  I had me a book to read.  And yes, I finished it one night.  I kept saying to myself, when he transforms, you can put it down.  When she figures it out you can put it down.  But I never put down the damn book.  It was like crack.  A crazy addiction that had me up until 2am- because I had to finish the book.

Now I understand ladies, now I understand.

I also understand that I am not going looking for the next book until I get some sleep.

13 comments:

  1. Lol!
    Welcome to the Twilight club. ;D
    I couldn't put it down either and I kept wondering why it was so addicting. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i did the same freaking thing!!!

    I laughed, oh how I laughed at those ladies over 20 that read it. All i could think of was it is a "young adult" series. I finally bought the first one at a used book sale. Read it in 4 hours and went the same night to buy the other 3. Read them all in one freaking weekend. Addicted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it when a book is so good I can't get to sleep without finishing it. Of course the next day, I'm usually sorry since I'm exhausted but that only lasts until the next good book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the group!! I was the same way about Twilight. I couldn't figure out what all the hype was about and I refused to read it. Until a few mom friends insisted I at least read the first book...I was hooked immediately. I ran out the next day and got the entire rest of the series and read it all within a couple days!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOoohhhh! You are tempting me! I LOVE to read - I need a break from the laundry, teen-angst, tween blues and littlest one stealth provocation of the older ones. Lord of the Rings - Yep I'm there! It took me a few years, but yep, Harry Potter - all of them. I do recommend James Herriot's books - but be sure to start with the first. The first chapter will have you laughing hysterically (only a mom would laugh like that over the scene). I actually had water squirting out my nose and then for days when I would remember it, I would laugh out loud!
    It's wonderful to find a book that just sucks you in:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was the EXACT same way! Your lucky you jumped on the bandwagon late in the game! You don't have to wait months for the books to come out!! Oh and just and FYI: the fourth book was my personal favorite!

    I read all four books in 4 days too!! :) Books are Crack!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, too funny. Now I really feel like I'm one of the last of the species that hasn't read these books, and the author lives about an hour from me. I don't know where exactly, just the vacinity. I love books from Patricia Cornwell too, and Tess Gerritson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. welcome!! I thought I would never ever like a vampire book, but I read them up! I think it took me a month to read all 4.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the world of vampires, werewolfs and all night reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i was 100% sucked in (heh - sucked) from the beginning. not rec'd by a friend or anything...i just thought i'd try it. and hated when it was over. same happened to me w/ harry potter, which i read at the ripe ol' age of 30 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm right there with you. I devoured each of the Twilight series, I liked some more than others, but I coudldn't put them down. I took a day off from work to read the last one. I can't say why either. I don't like love-sick teens, or obsessive love. Maybe it is because I'm from Washington and I love the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love murder mysteries, too!

    I think the twilight thing...everyone can relate cuz we remember that part of our lives...and sometimes wish we were 'in' with the vampire crowd at the time so we could ignore everyone else :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! So glad you joined camp Twilight. :) I am an addict myself. The first one is my favorite but they are all good. Didn't love the second one though but the end was good! Man, that Stephenie Meyer hit the jackpot!

    ReplyDelete

YIPEE! You decided to comment on me!